West Portal Village
There are some OHV roads that mingle around the West Portal site off of West Portal Road. There is a vista point as well where you can see the overall area and the historic marker located just North of June Lake on Interstate 395 and before West Portal Road.
"The West Portal Village was the largest of four camps or company towns built in 1934 by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power for employees and their families who worked on the Mono Basin project. At the height of construction, the town had over 200 residents and 26 buildings and for its time it had many modern conveniences, telephones, electricity, gas, mail service, paved roads, water and sewer systems. (A Metropolis by Mono County Standards.) By 1941 the project was completed and within a few years the town was abandoned. Although its existence was brief, West Portal made a lasting contribution to the development ofMono County. Today its remnants can be seen near the base of Mono Craters." (Historical Marker , Bodie Chapter No. 64, E. Clampus Vitus)
Time Period Represented