St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church
ADA Accessibility Notes
Difficult for mobility impaired
St. Sava was founded by America's first Serbian Orthodox missionary, Fr. Sebastian Dabovich whose relics (body) is interred within the church sanctuary. Adjacent to the church is the cemetery containing many generations of parish families. Among those interred are nine of the 47 victims of the Argonaut Mine Disaster of August 27, 1922.
Today, St. Sava is known for the Byzantine frescos featuring more than 400 faces from the Bible, history of the Serbian Church and history of St. Sava Church. The frescoes painted over thirteen years by Belgrade iconographer Miloje Milinkovich were completed in 2008 and dedicated in 2009 by Biship Maksim of the Western American Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Chuch.
St. Sava Church is the first Serbian Orthodox church founded in the western hemisphere. The church was consecrated in 1894 and still serves the local Orthodox congregation to this day.
Many of today's church goers are descended from the original immigrants from the old county who came to Amador County and the West to work as laborers in the gold and silver mines.
Time Period Represented
1890s to today
Price Style for this Establishment