St. Charles Place
ADA Accessibility Notes
While a historic building, it is ADA friendly.
Housed in the historic Craycroft building that dates to 1853, the St. Charles Place has been a Downieville landmark for decades. The town's only full service bar, it is a historic watering hole that caters to locals and visitors alike. Whether sitting at the bar enjoying a drink, playing pool, or sitting on the back deck with its Downie River view, the St. Charles is a local institution.
With nearly a 160 year history, the Craycroft building began life as Jack Craycroft's Saloon. One of the community's first imposing structures, the Craycroft also housed the county court of sessions and county jail. In the fall of 1853, Sierra County's first district attorney Thaddeus Purdy was shot and killed outside the building during an attempted lynching.
Pet Friendly Notes
Friendly dogs have been known to frequent the place.
11am to 2am (may close earlier if a slow night)
Open year round