Site of Lassen Trading Post (No. 184 California Historical Landmark)
California Historical Landmarks Program
Historical Landmarks are sites, buildings, features, or events that are of statewide significance and have anthropological, cultural, military, political, architectural, economic, scientific or technical, religious, experimental, or other value. Historical Landmarks are eligible for registration if they meet at least one of the following criteria:
1) Is the first, last, only, or most significant of its type in the state or within a large geographic region
2) Is associated with an individual or group having a profound influence on the history of California
3) Is a prototype of, or an outstanding example of, a period, style, architectural movement or construction or is one of the more notable works or the best surviving work in a region of a pioneer architect, designer or master builder.
California’s Landmark Program began in the late 1800s with the formation of the Landmarks Club and the California Historical Landmarks League. In 1931, the program became official when legislation charged the Department of Natural Resources—and later the California State Chamber of Commerce—with registering and marking buildings of historical interest or landmarks. The Chamber of Commerce then created a committee of prestigious historians, including DeWitt Hutchings and Lawrence Hill, to evaluate potential landmark sites.
In 1948, Governor Earl Warren created the California Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee to increase the integrity and credibility of the program. Finally, this committee was changed to the California Historical Resources Commission in 1974. Information about registered landmarks numbered 770 onward is kept in the California Register of Historical Resources authoritative guide. Landmarks numbered 669 and below were registered prior to establishing specific standards, and may be added to the California Register when criteria for evaluating the properties are adopted.
Share your experience. Please leave a comment below if you've visited this historical landmark.
This marker is located on the site where Peter Lassen and a traveling companion built a log cabin and opened a trading post. Lassen is the namesake for Lassen Volcanic National Park, Mt. Lassen, and Lassen County. Lassen was known for his pioneer spirit and his numerous contributions to the people of the surrounding area. He established 22,000-acre Bosuejo Ranch and returned to his home at Missouri to guide emigrants through the mountain pass to settle at the ranch. Lassen also established Benton City (also known as Lassen Ranch) and it became one of the most important sites in Northern California at the time. Colonel Fremont and his sixty men took residence there.
Lassen found gold at Honey Lake Valley in 1855 and continued to live there while prospecting. He was unexpectedly killed in 1859 along with his traveling companion Edward Clapper during an ambush. Clapper’s body was recovered in May 1990 by rock hunters in the Black Rock Desert.
Visit the posting for Peter Lassen's Grave (No. 565) to learn more about his life and contributions to the people of Lassen County. The Peter Lassen grave monument and California historical marker are located in Susanville.
The historical marker for the trading post is located on North Valley Road, 4.5 miles east of Greenville.
El Rio de las Plumas, “The river of feathers,” lends its name to Plumas County. Captain Luis Arguello named the river, having been impressed by the many floating feathers on the water. Plumas County also contains Beckwourth Pass, the lowest summit of the High Sierra, which quickly became a favorite route of wagon trains.
Time Period Represented