Scossa's Cow Camp
The simple board and batten buildings at the Scossa Brothers Cow Camp were erected by the Isabella Mining Company of London in front of their no-longer-standing Isabella Boarding House, which was a residence for miners at Silver Creek and a popular stage coach stop on Turnpike road. Scossa's Cow Camp is located midway between Silver Mountain City and the settlement at Silver Creek on Hwy 4, also known as the Ebbetts Pass National Scenic Byway.
At an elevation of 6,200 feet, the Scossa Cow Camp today is a popular rest stop for cyclists and bikers due to its natural beauty. In the summer months the wildflowers are plentiful, and in fall months the Cottonwoods, Quaking Aspens and Willows that grow along Silver Creek make for exquisite foliage. The amazing white and gray tuff columns north of the road are remnants of volcanic ash, hardened by water and time. The camp is visible from the road, but please do not enter the actual camp, as it is private property.
Scossa's Cow Camp has been in the Scossa family for over one hundred years and was established as a summer livestock range by four Scossa brothers. The Scossa brothers were born in Switzerland and came to America in the 1870s settling in Alpine County. In the summer of 1880 they were residing on the property and noted their occupations as "packing wood with mules," undoubtedly for the smelters at the mills. By the turn of the 19th century they had turned to farming and ranching, establishing ranches in Diamond Valley and Carson Valley southwest of Gardnerville, Nevada, which they still operate today.
Time Period Represented