ADA Accessibility Notes
Today the newsstand is owned and operated George’s daughter and two of her children, the third and fourth generation to own the business. Placerville News carries newspapers and magazines of all kinds, art supplies, office supplies and many types of gifts and many items with a local connection. The current owners (third and fourth generation) have preserved the look of the old newsstand inside and outside and when you walk into the store, it feels very comfortable and inviting. They have tried to sustain the old look and feel.
In the early 1850s the newsstand was opened as the Davis and Roy News Depot. In 1855 and 1856 the town of Placerville experienced two major fires. These fires destroyed most of the structures including the newsstand. Mr. Davis and Mr. Roy rebuilt the newsstand and in 1856 the Davis and Roy News Depot was opened for business once again.
In 1898 Mr. Shelly Inch added the second floor, embellishing the building with a Cast Iron and Stamped Tin facade manufactured by the Mesker Brothers Iron Works of St. Louis, Missouri. This style facade is one of the few left in the United States as most of them were torn down and the metal recycled. In 1912 the current owner’s great grandmother purchased the business which she operated until the early 1950s. Her son, George Duffey, operated the store from the 1950's until his passing in 1998. George was and still is a legendary figure in Placerville History, known and loved by the community.
Pet Friendly Notes
Welcome on Leash-at owners responsibility
Time Period Represented
Re-built after fire in 1856
8am-6:30pm Mon-Thur 8am-7:30pm Fri-Sat 8am-5:30pm Sun
Any time of the year is a good time to visit Placerville News.
Price Style for this Establishment