Pioneer Hall (No. 34 California Historical Landmark)
California Historical Landmarks Program
Historical Landmarks are sites, buildings, features, or events that are of statewide significance and have anthropological, cultural, military, political, architectural, economic, scientific or technical, religious, experimental, or other value. Historical Landmarks are eligible for registration if they meet at least one of the following criteria:
1) Is the first, last, only, or most significant of its type in the state or within a large geographic region
2) Is associated with an individual or group having a profound influence on the history of California
3) Is a prototype of, or an outstanding example of, a period, style, architectural movement or construction or is one of the more notable works or the best surviving work in a region of a pioneer architect, designer or master builder.
California’s Landmark Program began in the late 1800s with the formation of the Landmarks Club and the California Historical Landmarks League. In 1931, the program became official when legislation charged the Department of Natural Resources—and later the California State Chamber of Commerce—with registering and marking buildings of historical interest or landmarks. The Chamber of Commerce then created a committee of prestigious historians, including DeWitt Hutchings and Lawrence Hill, to evaluate potential landmark sites.
In 1948, Governor Earl Warren created the California Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee to increase the integrity and credibility of the program. Finally, this committee was changed to the California Historical Resources Commission in 1974. Information about registered landmarks numbered 770 onward is kept in the California Register of Historical Resources authoritative guide. Landmarks numbered 669 and below were registered prior to establishing specific standards, and may be added to the California Register when criteria for evaluating the properties are adopted.
Share your experience. Please leave a comment below if you've visited this historical landmark.
On September 1, 1886, founders of the Native Daughters of the Golden West met for the first time at Pioneer Hall in Jackson to formally organize themselves into an organization. The Native Daughters of the Golden West is both a fraternal and patriotic organization that supports California restoration and preservation projects, addresses environmental issues and provides student scholarships for native California college students. The historic building has undergone limited upgrades since it was built.
Jackson is the county seat for Amador. Residents have preserved many of their historic buildings of the 1850s to sustain the character of the community. The city was once the hub of activity, attracting settlers from around the world in search of quick wealth.
Most buildings are made from stone or brick with huge doors, iron-shuttered windows and balconies on the upper stories. Each building is a vivid reminder of the days of Indian battles, gun fights, murderers, robbers and the magnetic lure of gold.
Other area historic points of interest include the National Hotel, the Serbian Orthodox church and the AC House that is now a county museum.
The historical marker at Pioneer Hall is located at 113 Main Street in Jackson.
Amador County was one of the most productive of the “Mother Lode” counties. The mine shafts were reported to be among the deepest in the world. Mining continues in select areas today. The eastern slope of Amador County begins at Kirkwood’s historic stage stop known today as the Kirkwood Inn. The relatively narrow county is aligned between the Mokelumne and Cosumnes rivers and roughly follows an important emigrant trail route. Gold rush camps and boomtowns abound in the history of the area. Amador County is also recognized for its dozens of vineyards and wineries.
Time Period Represented