New Webster School House (No. P762 California Historical Point of Interest)
California Points of Historical Interest
California Points of Historical Interest are sites, buildings, features, or events that are of local (city or county) significance and have anthropological, cultural, military, political, architectural, economic, scientific or technical, religious, experimental, or other value.
Points of Historical Interest designated after 1997 are recommended by the State Historical Resources Commission, and are also listed on the California Register.
Historical resources that are designated as Points of Historical Interest are not designated as Landmarks. Points of Interest are of local significance, while Landmarks are of statewide significance. Points that are granted Landmark status are retired from their Points of Interest designation.
To be designated as a Point of Historical Interest, a resource must meet at least one of the following criteria:
1) Is the first, last, only, or most significant of its type within the local geographic region (City or County)
2) Is associated with an individual or group having a profound influence on the history of the local area
3) A prototype of, or an outstanding example of, a period, style, architectural movement, or construction or is one of the more notable works or the best surviving work in the local region of a pioneer architect, designer, or master builder.
Share your experience. Please leave a comment below if you've visited this historical point of interest.
The New Webster School House (also known as the Webster School) in Markleeville replaced the Old Webster School House in 1929. It was designed by famous Nevada architect Frederic Joseph Delongchamps, who also designed the Alpine County Courthouse. The building is constructed with stonework built around the wooden frame. The stone is made from rhyolite tuff, quarried from nearby Silver Mountain City. The Courthouse is made from the same material.
The New Webster School House was in use until 1950 and served grades 1-8. Since it ceased to be a school, it has served as a justice court, museum, community hall, county library, and the county health department. The building was registered as a state Historic Point of Interest on February 14, 1992. A plaque was dedicated by the Grand Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West on August 14, 1999. Today it is a library.
Nearby historic sites are the Alpine County Courthouse, the Old Log Jail, the Alpine Hotel, and the Alpine County Historical Complex. The New Webster School House is located at the intersection of Montgomery Street and Laramie Street in Markleeville.
High in the Sierra along the Nevada border, Alpine County is sparsely populated, and is in fact the least populated county in California. Situated between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park, Alpine County is a destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking to get away from the crowds. Grover Hot Springs State Park is in Alpine County, and parts of the El Dorado National Forest, Stanislaus National Forest, and Toiyabe National Forest are within Alpine County. In 1844, John C. Freemont’s expedition, accompanied by Kit Carson, passed through the area and over today’s Carson Pass. The Overland Emigrant Trail passed through this county, and is marked today by yellow painted iron markers and plaques. Markleeville is the County seat.
Time Period Represented