Nevada State 4-H Camp
Lake Tahoe is a unique and magnificent treasure. This historic 4-H Camp creates opportunities for inspiration, education and relaxation - right on the lake shore.
Owned and operated by the University of Nevada, the camp has a rich tradition as a setting for youth to live and learn at Lake Tahoe. The diverse forest, meadow and beach ecosystems provide an unparalleled opportunity for outdoor environmental education.
This spectacular site on 32 acres at the south shore of Lake Tahoe is available to youth and adult groups for camps, conferences, educational events, retreats or other programs.
Reservations can be made on a day or overnight basis year round.
History: University of Nevada Cooperative Extension began holding annual camps for 4-H club members in 1930 at University of Nevada facilities in Reno. Beginning in 1934, campers used the Boy Scout Camp at Zephyr Cove, Lake Tahoe for three years before the Nevada Farm Bureau leased the Skyland facility at Lake Tahoe for 4-H use.
Mr. and Mrs. William Rabe recognized that an annual camp would benefit Nevada's young people. For this reason, in 1938, they sold 30 acres of heavily-wooded, level ground to the Nevada Farm Bureau to establish a permanent 4-H Camp. In addition to the 30 acres of choice property, which extended to the lake shore, the purchase included an easement to Lake Tahoe, two miner's inches (32,313,600 gallons) of water per day from Folsom Spring and an easement for the required pipeline to bring water to the camp.
On June 23, 1939, the Douglas County Farm Bureau inaugurated the campsite at its annual picnic, and on July 1, the first occupants arrived, 450 Seventh Day Adventist campers. The 4-H club groups camped at this site for the first time in August 1939 and have been camping there annually since that date.
On September 26, 1953, ownership of the camp was transferred to the State of Nevada under the direction of the Agricultural Extension Service and the University of Nevada Board of Regents. On December 30, 1947, an additional 3.29 acres of Lake Tahoe shore-front was deeded from D. Park to the State of Nevada, adding a beach to the property.
Take Highway 50 from Carson City to Stateline, NV. Drive through the communities of Cave Rock, Zephyr Cove and Roundhill.Passenger vehicles (15 or less passengers) turn right on Kahle Drive (stoplight). Turn left on Laura Drive. Turn Right on 4-H Camp Road. (not marked.)
Trucks, buses, or large vehicles turn right on 4-H Camp Road which is between Dart Liquor Store and Edgewood Golf Course. It is ¼ mile to the campgrounds from Highway 50.
The Nevada State 4-H Camp constructed an environmentally friendly sleeping cabin that received LEED certification in 2009. This smart cabin uses recycled Styrofoam and concrete providing for a constant temperature all year round allowing the camp to reduce energy costs. This cabin is used as a living laboratory for participants living at the camp to learn about sustainable building design and energy conservation.
Maximum Length of Stay Allowed
Maximum Number of People Cabin or Fire Lookout May Accommodate
16 per cabin, must reserve a minimum of 35 participants
Number of Camp Sites
Sleeping Cabins 19
Pet Friendly Notes
Service Animals and Groups who utilize animals for education are permited.
12 day use, Adult use 24/night/person,
- Universally Accessible