Markleeville School House (Old Webster School) (No. P687 California Historical Point of Interest and No. 2288 National Historic Place)
California Points of Historical Interest
California Points of Historical Interest are sites, buildings, features, or events that are of local (city or county) significance and have anthropological, cultural, military, political, architectural, economic, scientific or technical, religious, experimental, or other value.
Points of Historical Interest designated after 1997 are recommended by the State Historical Resources Commission, and are also listed on the California Register.
Historical resources that are designated as Points of Historical Interest are not designated as Landmarks. Points of Interest are of local significance, while Landmarks are of statewide significance. Points that are granted Landmark status are retired from their Points of Interest designation.
To be designated as a Point of Historical Interest, a resource must meet at least one of the following criteria:
1) Is the first, last, only, or most significant of its type within the local geographic region (City or County)
2) Is associated with an individual or group having a profound influence on the history of the local area
3) A prototype of, or an outstanding example of, a period, style, architectural movement, or construction or is one of the more notable works or the best surviving work in the local region of a pioneer architect, designer, or master builder.
Share your experience. Please leave a comment below if you've visited this historical point of interest.
The Markleeville School House, also known as the Old Webster School House, is a California Historic Point of Interest and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
The school was built by the local Markleeville residents in 1882 and was in use until 1929. The new Webster School House was designed by famous Nevada architect Frederic Joseph Delongchamps, who also designed the Alpine County Courthouse.
The school was restored in 1966 by the Alpine County Historical Society to save it from being destructed. A plaque for the schoolhouse was dedicated on September 17, 1966 and re-dedicated on September 15, 1979 by Snow-Shoe Thomson Chapter No. 1827 of E. Clampus Vitus. It is now part of the Alpine County Historical Complex in Markleeville.
The Old Webster Schoolhouse is located at 135 School Street, off of Montgomery Street in Markleeville.
High in the Sierra along the Nevada border, Alpine County is sparsely populated, and is in fact the least populated county in California. Situated between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park, Alpine County is a destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking to get away from the crowds. Grover Hot Springs State Park is in Alpine County, and parts of the El Dorado National Forest, Stanislaus National Forest, and Toiyabe National Forest are within Alpine County. In 1844, John C. Freemont’s expedition, accompanied by Kit Carson, passed through the area and over today’s Carson Pass. The Overland Emigrant Trail passed through this county, and is marked today by yellow painted iron markers and plaques. Markleeville is the County seat.
Time Period Represented
11 am-4pm, Monday through Thursday