Your browser is out of date.
This site may not function properly in your current browser. Update Now

Glencoe (Mosquito Gulch) (No. 280 California Historical Landmark)

Historic Site or District
The Glencoe Hotel, ca. 1900 –

California Historical Landmarks Program

Historical Landmarks are sites, buildings, features, or events that are of statewide significance and have anthropological, cultural, military, political, architectural, economic, scientific or technical, religious, experimental, or other value. Historical Landmarks are eligible for registration if they meet at least one of the following criteria:

1) Is the first, last, only, or most significant of its type in the state or within a large geographic region

2) Is associated with an individual or group having a profound influence on the history of California

3) Is a prototype of, or an outstanding example of, a period, style, architectural movement or construction or is one of the more notable works or the best surviving work in a region of a pioneer architect, designer or master builder

California’s Landmark Program began in the late 1800s with the formation of the Landmarks Club and the California Historical Landmarks League. In 1931, the program became official when legislation charged the Department of Natural Resources—and later the California State Chamber of Commerce—with registering and marking buildings of historical interest or landmarks.

In 1948, Governor Earl Warren created the California Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee to increase the integrity and credibility of the program. Finally, this committee was changed to the California Historical Resources Commission in 1974. Information about registered landmarks numbered 770 onward is kept in the California Register of Historical Resources authoritative guide. Landmarks numbered 669 and below were registered prior to establishing specific standards, and may be added to the California Register when criteria for evaluating the properties are adopted.

Share your experience. Please leave a comment below if you've visited this historic landmark.

Glencoe, formerly called Mosquito Gulch, was a mining town located 10 miles northeast of Mokelumne Hill. The business portion of the town was on the north side of Mosquito Gulch, but not one of the old buildings remains.

The first mines here were worked by Mexicans in the early 1850s. Though some placer mining was done here, quartz mining was the main focus of mining efforts. The Good Hope Mine, formerly worked by Mexicans using arrastres, constructed an 18-stamp mill in 1873. The mill produced customer work for the Glencoe mines. Other mines in Glencoe were the Sierra King, Sierra Queen, Oriental, Monte Cristo, Blue Jay, Mexican, San Bruno, Blue Bell, and several others. In 1899, Glencoe was still a trading center for quartz and drift mines in the area. The post office here was named Mosquito Gulch from 1873-1878, when the name was changed to Glencoe after a historic town in Scotland, though both names were often used to describe the area.

By the late 19th century, ranching and farming became the dominant industries. Lumbering became an important industry here during World War II.

Glencoe is located on State Highway 26, 7.2 miles south west of West Point.

Calaveras County

Along with Mark Twain’s famous "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" story that spun into an annual fair and Jumping Frog Jubilee, Calaveras County is rich with Gold Rush history and folklore. Remnants of the railroads and Hispanic culture add to the charm of the county located in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Calaveras Big Trees State Park, a preserve of Giant Sequoia trees, and the uncommon gold telluride mineral Calaverite was discovered in the county in 1861, and is named for it.

Calaveras is a Spanish word meaning "skull." The name was first given to the river because of the great quantities of human skulls found along the lower reaches of the river.

Calaveras County is famous for its lode and placer mines, and the largest gold nugget from the United States was taken from the Morgan Mine at Carson Hill in 1854, weighing 214 pounds. For many years it was the principal copper-producing county in California. Cement deposits from its vast limestone deposits has become one of the county's major industries in recent years.

Time Period Represented


Nearby Places