Carson Valley Improvement Club (CVIC) Hall
ADA Accessibility Notes
In 1906, H.F. Dangberg submitted a map to the Douglas County, Nevada Board of Commissioners for approval to build a town. Mr. Dangberg had the infrastructure planned, the social needs of the Carson Valley in mind, and the Valley’s business future as a vision.
When the construction of the town was underway, it became obvious to the community leaders that a gathering place was needed. In May of 1912, the Carson Valley Improvement Club (CVIC) was formed. With Peter Krummes, Lisle McInnis, and C.M. Henningsen as partners, Mr. Dangberg sold 1,000 subscription papers at $10 each to be used to construct a “large and commodious building at Minden to be equipped with a complete gymnastic outfit, reading, club rooms and the like.” Mr. Dangberg donated the land and contributed liberally to the fund. Construction took approximately 6 months and on November 15, 1912, the CVIC held their first dance in the new building.
The Minden Fortnightly Club was formed on September 1, 1910 as a sewing club. In 1921, the Club leased the CVIC Hall for a five year period. The members each took out a loan to renovate the building. Those loans were paid back within 14 months. Since that time, the Fortnightly Club has been heavily involved in the maintenance and upkeep of the Hall. They are also very generous in donating time, labor, and money to other worthy causes.
The Hall has been used for almost every facet of life - movie theater, live theater, dance, prom, church functions, grammar school functions, basketball, meetings, dinners, weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, funerals, and at one time a morgue. In 1964, an airliner crashed on Genoa Peak killing 83 people. Eighty two of the bodies were brought off the mountain to the Hall.
The Town of Minden purchased CVIC Hall in 1932. The restrooms have been updated twice, and a complete kitchen was added in 1950. In 1983, the Town made major improvements to the electrical system, heating system, and the acoustics of the Hall. The CVIC Hall was named to the National Register of Historic Places in September of 1983.
The building received its final addition in 1999, which included a two-story structure with modern restrooms and kitchen, the Town offices, and three offices. The historic hall is available for rental.
Two spirits reside here, and both are welcome. The first is long-time Town employee, Herman Leehman. Herman was the Town’s first permanent employee, and he worked as maintenance man and trash man. Herman used a horse-drawn wagon to pick up trash until he asked the Town Board for hay for the team. The Board offered him $10 per month to use his own truck! Herman retired in 1952.
Jack Roberts was involved in the plane accident. When the bodies were brought to the Hall, it seems there was one person not found – Mrs. Roberts. Three weeks later, Mrs. Roberts was found. Jack was waiting for her, but she was not brought to the Hall. We let Jack know what happened and if he wanted to go on to the next life he could go be with her, but if he wanted to stay he was welcome.
So you are never here alone, and if you would like to say hi to Jack and Herman once in a while they would appreciate the conversation.
The Carson Valley Improvement Club (C.V.I.C.) Hall is located at 1604 Esmeralda Avenue in Minden, NV 89423.
Time Period Represented
1912 to present
8am to 5pm, Monday - Friday.
Rental fees apply.